Tuesday 16 September 2008

Walk the Line

With skinny jeans just about as typical as Wino in the paper, Niki Fryatt hails the dawning of a new era for the trouser wearing community...

Ahhhhh cord! I remember in the good old days, back when I accessorized every outfit with nappies, that I had a pretty killer pair of cord jeans in turquoise, which I wore with burgundy start rites and a multi-coloured jumper that my Nan knitted for me.

My interest in cord decreased once potty trained: ‘til I was about 8 and I discovered the most gorgeous pair of plum-coloured cord leggings in M&S. I begged my mum to let me have them, she relented (just to shut me up, one would assume) and I duly accessorized with Doc Martins, denim shirt and floppy hat (I was going through a MAJOR Blossom phase at the time).


Durst: More about the cords than the chords, really

Then when I was 15, along with my posse of fellow nu-metallers, I discovered the joys of the super-flared cord, which I had in brick-red jumbo and jet-black needle cord. Obvs they looked buff with DC trainers, as much plastic jewellery as would fit from wrist to arm and a sparkly pink dog collar. Not a great look I’ll admit.

It all changed when I was 18. Suddenly the bootcut and the flare were as passé as Fred Durst. A sleeker, leaner style of jean was seen on celebrity legs: frankly It was only a matter of time before it hit the high street and my eyes were diverted, like childhood boyfriend’s who get dumped when you notice the infinitely cooler and fitter elder brother is much more to your taste.

Since I tried on my first pair of skinny’s, my love affair with cord has waned. It reminded me too much of those youthful hi-jinks. Those hideous nu-metal hoodies I wore. My love of pigtails and ponys. I can look back on it with nostalgia, but force me to wear a pair of bootcut, needle cords, and I’ll show you where you can stick it.


" Suddenly the bootcut and the flare were as passé as Fred Durst "


Yet one day recently, when I was trawlling the vitual aisles of Topshop (it was, what I like to call, ‘a slow news day’) and my eyes happened upon the most glorious skirt I had ever seen. It was simple. It was a line. It was mini. And it was cord! I was literally blown away.
 

From the cute little heart buttons to the gorgeous mottled dove-grey: here was a skirt that suited all my librarian-chic needs! "Team me with brick-red tights and patent heels," it screamed, "put those gladiator sandals and Micky Mouse t-shirt to good use next summer," it cooed. "Buy me, buy me!" - Into the shopping basket it went!

Its got me thinking that, perhaps it wasn’t the material, but the shape that made me cringe - it’s a hardwearing fabric, hasn’t succumbed to the engineering and "it-jean" phenomenon of its denim cousin, and has a sort of disheveled elegance to it (think of all those elderly toffs you see in massive red cords with the knees ripped out - GENUIS!) furthermore you are unlikely to see it gracing all and sundry on your travels.

It will also provide the perfect segue for those fools who are still addicted to the skinny, coloured jean, American Apparel stock skinny, unisex cords in all the colours of the rainbow. To redeem yourselves buy them in tomato red, olive or sand to show me that you've moved on! Please?

 

Niki Fryatt

No comments: